Built for breathtaking performance and taking a step forward in windsurfing sail development.
All our sails are developed at the FLIGHT SAILS R&D Loft on Tenerife and handcrafted at our factory in Sri Lanka with the sole purpose of creating the highest quality sails possible.
Key quality features
- Our design team uses an exclusive 3D Development software that has been designed to build extremely efficient America’s Cup foils, bringing the scientific experience of the world’s most important sailboat competition right into the windsurfing industry.
One of the key benefits of this software is the perfectly balanced performance through all sizes of our sail ranges. Different sizes are not just scaled up or down, but the profile of each size is individually calculated and re-shaped, to guarantee the same efficiency throughout the entire range.
- T-Scrim Laminate is 3 times lighter than normal X-ply and 40% lighter than monofilm. T-Scrim is made of woven polyester yarns, laminated between a thin layer of film on both sides.
T-scrim is very tear resistant, flexible, UV proof and doesn’t deform nor stretches out.
Our main body panels are built with this material, resulting in the light feel and great responsiveness found in each Flight sail.
- To get more stability and to reduce the stretching of the main profile we use the Z-CARBON stabilizer, running from the clew to the beginning of the batten above the boom. The slat is a GT14 carbon yarn, stitched in between the main stabilizer.
The other 2 slats don’t have the carbon yarn as that way they don’t influence the sails twist, but they will still help improve the stability in high wind or when the sail is under heavy load during moves and landings.
- The Symmetric Batten Wrap consists of placing the battens perfectly symmetric in the sail material itself, and not on top of it as many other brands do.
The union of our panels isn’t done with a single seam under each batten pocket, but with a double seam, wrapping one panel to the other with the batten nicely positioned in the middle. As a benefit the sail will feel and behave the same on both sides. The rotation of the battens is much smoother and aerodynamically the sail is better.
- Double Seam Technology is used on all high impact seams on all sails allowing them to endure prolonged exposure to high loads and impacts.
The FLIGHT way
Sails head office is based on Tenerife/ Canary Islands, providing perfect research & development conditions throughout the whole year. Our development team uses an exclusive 3D software that has been designed to build extremely efficient America’s Cup foils, bringing the scientific experience of the world’s most important sailboat competition right into the windsurfing industry.
SAILS lead sail designer Jose Fernandez has cooperated with the software development company to adjust the America's Cup 3D sail design software to the needs of high performance windsurfing sail design.
Any client request is directly handled from our head office staff to ensure the best client service possible, straight from the brand.
Our factory staff’s skills and worker’s rights are the key points of the Flight Sails production in Sri Lanka.
Every single Flight sail is handcrafted and carefully checked before leaving our factory!